The News About Newton and Cache Junction

Newton and Cache Junction Historical Collection
Content from the Newton Town Public Library
The 4th of July celebration of 1892 in Newton was a grand success. The parade, which took place at about ten a.m., was the best ever witnessed in Newton. It was headed by our Martial Band, followed by a finely decorated wagon containing 14 young ladies, all dressed in white and representing the Goddess of Liberty and the 13 original states (pictured above).


“The genesis of Newton is inseparably connected with that of her neighbor and parent to the north, Clarkston. The first settlement of the Clarkston area followed the same pattern found generally in Cache Valley.” [1]

In late February of 1869 settlers prepared for the move “the apparent cause for moving to Newton involved the earlier melting of the snow, but underlying causes included such factors as dissatisfaction with the illness and floods experienced at the Clarkston Fort, remoteness which would be lessened somewhat by a move to Newton since Clarkston was virtually cut off by drifting snow much of the winter…” [2]


Cache Junction

Cache Junction was established around the year 1890 by the Utah and Northern railroad which became a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad. The railroad coming to Northern Cache Valley and establishing Cache Junction meant new businesses and economy near Newton.


[1] Larry D. Christiansen, “A New Town in the Valley: The Centennial History of Newton, Utah 1869-1969. Pg 2.

[2] Christiansen, “A New Town in the Valley…” Pg 4.

The Schools of Newton

History of the Schools of Newton

The people of Newton cared much for the educating of their children, as soon as they began building to have roofs over their heads and planting to have food to eat they began making arrangements for a school. The town of Newton has seen four school buildings from the beginning of its settlement until students were bussed to Lewiston, Richmond or Smithfield for their education.

The Church Buildings of Newton

The First Ward Meeting House

In 1887 the town decided it was time to have a ward meeting house for the church. They began construction of a frame building which they boasted would be “the largest house of worship of the settlements on the west side of Bear River.” Progress on the building went well the first year. However, then the Newton Dam broke with a loss of almost all the stored water. This together with a depression in 1890 put  the building was put on hold for some time. Finally in 1892 the residents pushed to complete the church building which was finished and dedicated on March 26, 1893.

The Yellow Brick Church

January 8, 1929, the Newton Chapel was destroyed by fire. The First Presidency approved a total of $32,451 to go toward the building of a new chapel leaving the people of the ward to pay for the remaining amount. The plans were drawn and the work began in February 1929. A group of men opened a vein of gravel east of town. They hauled more than 600 cubic yards of gravel to the site where the church now stands. Work continued until the Great Depression in December 1929. The chapel was finally finished when the First Presidency agreed to allow the Ward to draw on the account even though they had not yet completely collected their portion of the money.

Big Times that Came to Cache Junction

The Liberty Bell

San Francisco was hosting the Great Trans-Pacific World’s Fair and requested the Liberty Bell from Philadelphia as an exhibit. The Liberty Bell mounted on a special flat car with its honor guard and pulled by a select train arrived in Salt Lake City in the morning of June 11, 1915 where it stopped for a short time. The schedule called for another stop at Cache Junction at 6:25 in the evening for fifteen minutes. Since Cache Junction was the only planned stop in Cache Valley, the residents responded in large numbers. Special trains brought people from throughout the valley to where they could see the bell.


The New Train Center

The new train center at Cache Junction was built with a main line track through Bear River Canyon from Salt Lake City and Ogden to connect to the Valley’s branch lines. It soon offered both excellent passenger and freight-hauling services.

The Depot also became a very important communications center with its available telegraph lines and Western Union telegrams. The town’s new business section continued to grow and expand.

Videos of the Newton Dam and the Modern Yellow Brick Church

Water in Newton

Water has always been a key to creating a thriving town in Newton, even with the rise of dry farming, Newton needed water piped from springs for culinary purposes so that they could have water even in the heart of summer. This video is a modern day view of the Newton Reservoir, still a beautiful location and necessary for the vitality of Newton as a farming community. This dam was “one of the first” storage reservoirs in Utah.

Modern Yellow Brick Church

Video of a walk through of the Yellow Brick Church of Newton about six years before it would be torn down. Newton, Utah.

Veterans of Many Wars

World War I

Malmberg, Joseph (Joe) (1887-1957), veteran of World War I

World War II

Korean War

Discover More about Newton and Cache Junction!

Visit the Newton and Cache Junction Historical Collection from the Newton Town Public Library

Please visit their repository at


Credits of the Online Exhibit

This exhibit tells the story of an LDS pioneer community that grew and expanded as the world grew and expanded. Please join us as we learn of this exceptional small town in the northwest of Cache Valley.

The contents of this exhibit come from items found in Newton’s Special Collections. The narrative comes from text found with the items and from Larry Christiansen’s Newton: A New Town in the Valley.


Jennifer Hughes: Salt Lake Community College, WordPress Exhibit Creator (using DIVI theme by elegant themes)

Breighlin Johanson: Salt Lake Community College, Universal Accessibility report on WordPress Exhibit


Textual Content

Alison Fabricius Gardner at USU for an amazing companion exhibit found here:

Randi Jorgesen and Sarah Rigby: Item Selection and History

Utah State University, Merrill-Cazier Library, Digital Initiatives for Digitization.

Larsen Ladies, 1899 in Newton

Mary Larsen in the middle with two of her daughters Mary (left) and Caroline (right).